Kildorrery Community Development Ltd. is a non profit organisation which was officially set up on the 4th of October 1993. The aim of the organisation is to promote Kildorrery as a welcoming and active community for our residents and visitors, thus encouraging tourism and industry into the area. There are a number of sub-committees working within the Community Development, namely: The Community Housing Association, Community Alert, Tidy Towns Group, Historical Society, Senior Citizens' Association, Community Garden Group and the Playground Group.
Community Development Office
The Community Development Office is open Mon - Fri from 9.00am - 5.00pm. We offer a full range of administrative services; typing, photocopying, printing, broadband use, laminating e-mailing and scanning. We also a Fáilte Ireland approved Visitor Information Point. The friendly office staff will gladly help with any questions or queries that you may have be you a visitor or local.
Community Office Restoration
The Community Office was restored and a restaurant developed in the extension of the original building between Oct 2012 and July 2013 with the help of LEADER Funding provided by Ballyhoura Development Ltd. The building was purchased by Kildorrery Community Development Ltd. in 1998 to house its office and also to facilitate the running of the local Community Employment scheme which is still managed through the office. The decision was made by the Development Committee to restore the building, but due to the historic nature of the structure and its inclusion in the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage (NIAH), an architectural & archaeological impact study was carried out before any plans were drawn up. The study found that this vernacular building was of a very early origin and consequently the plans drawn up for its restoration were sensitive to the integrity of its heritage. The corrugated tin that was on the roof from a least before 1901 (1901Census of Ireland) was removed and the original thatch exposed and restored to its original appearance. The original walls were retained and restored with a lime render finish contemporary with their period. The extension to the rear of the building, which now houses Thatch & Thyme Restaurant, was built in such a way as to incorporate the original building and not impact on its structural heritage. Originally the building was thought to belong to a phase of the re-development of Kildorrery village by the 2nd Earl of Kingston in c.1777. It has since been featured as one of thirty houses selected for inclusion in the Cork County Council publication ‘Heritage Houses of County Cork’, and further examination of the building for the book has proposed that it belongs to a much earlier development of the village possibly dating back as far as c.1606 when the village was being developed as a market town by Maurice Fitzgibbon of Oldcastletown- ‘The 10th White Knight’.
KILDORRERY COMMUNITY HOUSING
Oaklawn Housing complex was officially opened on the 30th of September, 2006 and all of the houses are currently occupied. There are 9 houses in the complex and a Community Centre. The houses are warm and comfortable and nicely situated close to the village. They are suitable for elderly people who may wish to move to a more secure environment but remain in the community they are familiar with. During the year the Housing Association hold social gatherings in the Centre which everyone is welcome to attend. We would hope to make more use of the Centre in the future so we are open to ideas.
For more information please contact the Community Office on 022-25777