Parish History

The modern day R.C. Parish of Kildorrery is made up of 6 medieval parishes called:

While these are still Civil Parishes they have been in the Kildorrery R.C. Union since parishrecord keeping began so records for all are in one collection but this is where census records and parish differ as the census uses the civil parishes listed above except Aghacross, Carraigdownane and the Townlands of St. Nathlash have been included in Derryvillane.

These parishes are also the reason why we have 6 graveyards in the parish today as each one belonged to its own little medieval parish.

The Civil Parishes are broken down into Townlands which are based on an ancient administration system and they still exist today.

The Townlands are most often the key to identifying your ancestors if they came from a rural area as they are listed in the church records in Baptisms and Marriages. They can also be the key to locating a homestead.

Townlands

Kildorrery has a total of 34 Townlands of varying size (shown in acres):

  • Aghacross (355)
  • Ballinguyroe North (830)
  • Ballinguyroe South (339)
  • Ballinahalisk (533)
  • Ballynoe (326)
  • Ballyshonack (326)
  • Ballyshurdane (381)
  • Ballyvisteen (387)
  • Ballyvoddy (353)
  • Boleynanoultagh (590)
  • Carhoo (97)
  • Carraigdownane Lower (310)
  • Carraigdownane Upper (302)
  • Cullenagh (365)
  • Farahy (1130)
  • Glasvaunta (91)
  • Gortacurrig (323)
  • Graigue (559)
  • Kilclooney (780)
  • Kildorrery (110)
  • Kilmaculla (67)
  • Knockanevin (534)
  • Labbamolaga East (409)
  • Labbamolaga Middle (445)
  • Labbamolaga West (343)
  • Meadstown (493)
  • Oldcastletown (881)
  • Quitrent Mountain (1197)
  • Ransborough (138)
  • Scart (494)
  • Shraharla (379)
  • Springvale (237)
  • Tankardstown (601)
  • Tooreigh (267)

Rockmills

Rockmills was once the largest village in the area because of its flourmill. Following a succession of owners the flourmill closed around 1900 and the village gradually lost its population.

More historical details and photos here
Saint Nathlash Church of Ireland in Rockmills was built in 1823 and was razed to the ground in 1899 and all that remains today is its steeple. The parents of Dr. John O'Brien, Bishop of Cloyne and Ross (1746-69) are buried in the adjoining graveyard. Dr. O'Brien wrote the first Irish-English dictionary, which was published in 1768.

Point To Point Races

Kildorrery's annual Point To Point races are held in Rockmills every February.

Check their FB site here for updates.

Visit the Irish Point to Point website here.